Today’s handmade product is a “DIY dinosaur-patterned tote bag with zipper (with flat bottom and lined)". The finished size is about 16cm x 35cm, with a gusset length of about 8cm. 35cm zipper is used.
I think that it’ll come in handy when taking a stroll in the neighborhood and shopping at convenience stores. It might be a little bit difficult to put on a zipper, but you can finish it if you make it carefully by following the instructions step by step.
As the zipper is attached to the opening of the bag, the contents in the bag are firmly protected. It is good tote bag and useful for everyday use.
Outer body fabrics are 2 pieces of 22cm x 38cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included. Attach fusible interlining on the back.)
Fusible interfacing gives fabric firmness and keeps the shape of the tote bag.
Lining body fabrics are 2 pieces of 22cm x 38cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included)
Handles are 2 pieces of 2.5cm x 28cm. Handles can be made by using any fabrics of your choice. Acrylic webbing tape is recommended from craft shop. (It is easy to make.)
35cm zipper is 1 piece.
Fold both ends of the zip tape, and stitch together.
Fold the end of zipper so that it doesn’t cover the seam allowances of tote bag. It the edge overlap seam allowances, the thickness will increase and be difficult to sew. It will affect the appearance when finished.
How to make the outer fabrics of the tote bag
1. Baste the outer fabric and handle together.
2. Repeat the same steps for the other outer fabric.
How to sew the zipper (install the zipper)
1. Sew the outer fabric and zipper with right side together. (When sewing right sides together, the front side of each fabric is placed facing each other.) Pin the zipper with marking pins no to slip the zipper when you sew.
2. Then sew the outer and lining with right side together.
Sew the zipper that affects the appearance of tote bag. If you don’t know how to sew or aren’t good at sewing a zipper, please read this article which explains the procedure concretely.
3. Remove the bastings from the handle.
4. Fold the outer fabric, and iron. Then stitch the edge.
5. Sew the other side of zipper and do the same way.
How to make the zipper tote bag (finishing the bag)
1. Place the outer and lining fabric with right sides facing each other and sew around the edge. (Leaving 8cm gap for turning. Keep the zipper half open.)
The part with the zipper became thick, so be careful when you sew.
2. Cut off extra corner cloths, and press seam allowances open.
3. Make the gussets, and sew. (The gusset will determine the thickness of the bag.)
4. Turn inside out from the gap, and sew the edge. The dinosaur-patterned zipper tote bag is done.
Following is the video for how-to.