Today’s handmade work is a “DIY flower-patterned tote bag with zipper (with lining and flat bottom)". The finished size is about 16cm x 32cm. The gusset length is about 8cm. For the handle, I used black color acrylic webbing.
The color of the lining and handle is a black color, and the entire piece is finished in a calm atmosphere. I made the tote bag which looks a little stylish.
I think it is just right for a “lunch tote bag" where you can carry your lunch and drinks. how to make it itself is not so difficult. So please try making this tote bag.
The 2 pieces of fabric for the exterior are 22cm x 35cm. (Seam allowances are included, interfacing to be attached)
Fusible interfacing gives the fabric firmness, and helps to keep the shape of tote bag.
The 2 pieces of fabric for the lining are 22cm x 35cm. (Seam allowances are included)
The 2 pieces of patch fabric are 4cm x 35cm. (Seam allowances are included)
Handles are 2 pieces of 2.5cm x 34cm. The handles can be made from any fabric you like, but I recommend using acrylic webbing, available at craft stores. (This way is easier and more convenient.)
1 strip of zipper, 32cm.
For the zipper, fold the tape part at both ends and sew it in place.
Fold the edge of the zipper so that it does not cover the seam allowance of the tote bag. If the edge overlaps the seam allowance, it will be thicker and more difficult to sew, and it will also affect the finished look.
How to make the exterior fabrics of the tote bag
1. Sew the exterior fabric and handle together.
2. Place a 1cm crease on the top of patch fabric.
When making creases, it is recommended to use a hot sewing ruler to iron. (hot hemmer) It will make the creases tighter and the finished product more beautiful.
3. Attach a masking tape 5cm above the exterior fabric. (Since the tape is peeled off after sewing the patch fabric, use a weak adhesive type of tape. Strong adhesiveness can damage the fabric.)
4. Place the patch fabric with right side along the edge of the tape, then sew. (This means the front sides of the fabric are lined up with each other.)
5. Fold the patch fabric, and iron. Then stitch the edges.
6. Sew the other exterior fabric in the same way.
How to sew the zipper (install the zipper)
1. Sew the exterior fabric and zipper with right side together. When sewing, use a needle to hold the zipper in place to prevent it from shifting. This will make it easier to sew.
2. Then sew the exterior and lining with right side together.
The zipper is the most important part of the zipper tote bag. If you don’t know how to attach a zipper, or if you are not good at sewing zippers, please read this article. This article explains exactly how to do it.
3. Fold the exterior fabric over, and iron. Then stitch the edge.
4. Sew the other side of zipper in the same way.
How to make the zipper tote bag (finishing the bag)
1. Lay the fabric with right side, and sew around. (Leave about a 8cm open for turning inside out. Leave the zipper halfway open as well.)
The part with the zipper became thick, so be careful when you sew.
2. Cut off the extra fabrics, and press seam allowances open.
3. Make gusset, and sew.
4. Turn the bag inside out, and sew together the edge. Your flower-patterned zipper tote bag is complete.
Following is the video for how-to.