Tutorial：a pineapple-patterned fabric tote bag（DIY mini tote bag）
Today’s handcraft work is a “DIY pineapple-patterned fabric tote bag". It is a simple tote bag without zipper and pockets. It is also simple to make, so it is easy to make even for beginners.
It’ll be made by drawing lines on the fabric by using a ruler and cutting the fabric, so a pattern is not necessary. It uses only straight stiches on the sewing machine, so it is relatively easy to make.
The finished size is about 21cm x 25cm. The gusset length is about 12cm. It is small for a tote bag. However, I think is just the right size to carry a lunch box and a drink and can be used as a “lunch box bag".
Outer fabrics are 2 pieces of 30cm x 40cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included. Attach fusible interlining on the back.)
Fusible interfacing gives fabric firmness, and keeps the shape of the tote bag.
Inner fabrics are 2 pieces of 29.5cm x 39.5cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included)
Handles are 2 pieces of 2.5cm x 54cm. Handles can be made by using any fabrics of your choice. Acrylic webbing tape is recommended from craft shop. (It is easy to make.)
Make the outer part of tote bag
1. Baste the outer fabric and handle together.
2. Place the outer fabrics with right side, and sew the side and bottom.
3. Cut off extra corner cloth and press seam allowances open. Then make gusset, and sew. (Gusset adds depth to the bag.)
4. Cut the extra seam allowances (2.5cm from bag opening).
Make the inner part of tote bag
1. Place the inner fabrics with right side, and sew the side and bottom.
2. Cut off extra cloth, and press seam allowances open. Then make gussets, and sew.
3. Cut the extra seam allowances (2.5cm from bag opening).
Make the tote bag
1. Insert the inner bag into the outer bag with right side together. Then sew around perimeter of bag opening. (Leave 8cm gap for turning.)
2. Unseam the bastings of handle.
3. Press seam allowances open, and turn inside out from the gap.
4. Iron and stitch the edge of bag opening. The fabrics overlap and become thick in the bag opening, so be careful to sew the bag opening.
5. Iron to finish. The pineapple-patterned fabric tote bag is done.
Following is the video for how-to.