Today’s handmade product is a “DIY whale-patterned fabric tote bag". The color of the inner and handle is a natural color beige, and the entire piece is finished in a calm atmosphere. I made the tote bag which looks a little stylish and changed the design of the bottom part.
It is a cotton tote bag without a zipper, so it is easy to make. It has a gusset, so the usability is good. The size is also affordable, and I think it is just right for everyday use.
The 2 pieces of fabric for the exterior are 19cm x 36cm. (Seam allowances are included, interfacing to be attached)
Fusible interfacing gives the fabric firmness, and helps to keep the shape of tote bag.
The 2 pieces of fabric for the bottom patch are 8cm x 36cm. (Seam allowances are included, interfacing to be attached)
The 2 pieces of fabric for the lining are 24.5cm x 35.5cm. (Seam allowances are included)
Handles are 2 pieces of 2.5cm x 27cm. The handles can be made from any fabric you like, but I recommend using acrylic webbing, available at craft stores. (This way is easier and more convenient.)
How to make the exterior
1. Sew the exterior fabric and bottom patch with right side together. (Right side means the front sides of the fabric are lined up with each other.)
2. Press seam allowances over to the bottom side, and stitch at the edge.
3. Baste the fabric and handle together.
4. The remaining fabric should be sewn in the same way.
How to make the bag body (exterior)
1. Place the exterior fabrics with right sides facing each other and sew the side and bottom.
2. Cut the extra fabric, and press seam allowances open. Then make the gussets, and sew. (The gusset will determine the thickness of the bag.)
3. Cut a little extra seam allowances at the sides. (about 2.5cm from the opening)
How to make the bag body (lining)
1. Layer the lining fabrics with right sides, and sew the sides and bottom.
2. Cut off extra fabric and press seam allowances open. Then make the gusset, and sew.
3. Cut a little extra seam allowance at the sides. (about 2.5cm from the opening)
How to make the tote bag
1. Insert the lining bag into the exterior bag with the right side together and sew around the entrance. (Leave about a 7cm opening to turn right side out.)
2. Remove the bastings from the handle.
3. Press seam allowances open, and turn the bag inside out.
4. Iron the opening and stitch in place. There are many layers of fabric in the opening, and it’s quite thick, so work carefully.
5. Finally, apply a finishing iron to give the bag a nice shape. Your whale-patterned fabric tote bag is now complete.
Following is the video for how-to.