Tutorial：a space-patterned tote bag with zipper（DIY mini tote bag）
Today’s DIY (handmade product) is a “space-patterned fabric tote bag with zipper（with lining and a gusset）“.
It’ll be made by drawing lines on the fabric by using a ruler and cutting the fabric, so a pattern is not necessary. It uses only straight stiches on the sewing machine, so it is relatively easy to make.
The finished size is about 18cm x 14cm. The gusset length is about 6cm. It is small for a tote bag. It can be used for various purposes such as storing makeup, and organizing small items.
Outer fabrics are 2 pieces of 16cm x 23cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included. Attach fusible interlining on the back.)
Fusible interfacing gives fabric firmness and keeps the shape of the tote bag.
Bottom patch fabrics are 2 pieces of 9cm x 23cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included. Attach fusible interlining on the back.)
Other patch fabrics are 2 pieces of 4cm x 23cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included.)
Lining fabrics are 2 pieces of 23.5cm x 23cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included)
Handles are 2 pieces of 2.5cm x 29cm. Handles can be made by using any fabrics of your choice. Acrylic webbing tape is recommended from craft shop. (It is easy to make.)
20cm zipper is 1 piece.
Fold both ends of the zip tape, and sew.
Fold the end of zipper so that it doesn’t cover the seam allowances of tote bag. It the edge overlap seam allowances, the thickness will increase and be difficult to sew. It will affect the appearance when finished.
How to make the outer fabrics
1. Sew the outer fabric and bottom patch with right side together. (When sewing right side together, the front side of each fabric is placed facing each other.)
2. Press seam allowances over to the bottom side, and stitch at the edge.
3. Sew the outer fabric and handle together.
4. Place a 1cm crease on the top of patch fabric.
When making creases, it is recommended to use a hot hemmer. The folds are neat, and the finishing is nice.
5. Attach a masking tape 5cm above the outer fabric. (Since the tape is peeled off after sewing the patch fabric, use a weak adhesive type of tape. Strong adhesiveness can damage the fabric.)
6. Place the patch fabric on the edge of masking tape with right side. Then sew.
7. Fold the patch fabric, and iron. Then stitch the edges.
8. Sew the other outer fabric in the same way.
How to sew the zipper (install the zipper)
1. Sew the outer fabric and zipper with right side together. Pin the zipper with marking pins no to slip the zipper when you sew.
2. Sew the outer and lining with right side together.
Sew the zipper that affects the appearance of zipper tote bag. If you don’t know how to sew or aren’t good at sewing a zipper, please read this article which explains the procedure concretely.
3. Fold the fabrics, and iron. Then stitch the edge.
4. Sew the other side of zipper and do it the same way.
How to make the zipper tote bag (finishing the bag)
1. Place the outer and lining fabric with right sides facing each other and sew around the edge. (Leaving 7cm gap for turning. Keep the zipper half open.)
The part with the zipper became thick, so be careful when you sew.
2. Cut off extra corner cloths, and press seam allowances open.
3. Make gusset, and sew.
4. Turn inside out from the gap, and sew the edge. The space-patterned fabric zipper tote bag is done.
Following is the video for how-to.