Today’s handcraft work is a star-patterned fabric triangle zipper pouch (with lining). Except for the part where you make it into a triangle, it’s almost the same as making a regular zipper pouch. It uses only straight stiches on the sewing machine, so it is relatively easy to make.
I recommend putting treats inside the triangle pouch and using it as a gift. After eating the sweets inside, it can be used as a carry pouch. It would also be cute to use it as a pouch for small items such as lip balm or hair accessories.
The 1 piece of fabric for the exterior is 13cm x 24cm. (Seam allowances are included. Attach fusible interlining on the back.)
Fusible interfacing gives the fabric firmness, and helps to keep the shape of zipper pouch.
The 1 piece of fabric for the lining is 13cm x 24cm. (Seam allowances are included)
For tab, tape, or ribbon is 1 piece. (size 1.5cm x 6cm)
10cm zipper is 1 piece.
Fold both ends of the zip tape, and sew.
Fold the end of zipper so that it doesn’t cover the seam allowances of pouch. It the edge overlap seam allowances, the thickness will increase and be difficult to sew. It will affect the appearance when finished.
How to sew the zipper (attach the zipper)
1. Sew the outer fabric and zipper with right side together. （Right side means the front sides of the fabric are lined up with each other.）Pin the zipper with marking pins no to slip the zipper when you sew.
2. Sew the outer and lining with right side together.
Sew the zipper that affects the appearance of pouch. If you don’t know how to sew or aren’t good at sewing a zipper, please read this article which explains the procedure concretely.
3. Fold the outer fabric, and iron. Then stitch the edge.
4. Baste the outer fabric and tab (fold in half) together. （A stopper is a metal fitting for stopping the slider of zipper, and it is said that the upper end is top stops and the lower end is bottom stop of zipper.）
5. Sew the other side of zipper and do it the same way. (Be careful about stitching.)
How to make the triangle pouch
1. Place the outer and lining fabrics on the bottom stop of zipper and sew them together.
2. Cut off extra seams.
3. Place the outer and lining fabric with right sides facing each other and sew the top stops of zipper.（Leaving 5cm gap for turning.）
The part with the zipper became thick, so be careful when you sew.
4. Cut off extra seams.
5. Press seam allowances open, and turn inside out from the gap.
6. Sew the gap. The star-patterned triangle zipper pouch is done.
Following is the video for how-to.