How to add a zipper to ready-made tote bag
Today’s sewing topic is “add a zipper to ready-made tote bag".
Ready-made tote bag dimensions, height 14cm, length 20cm, gusset 7cm.
Gusset fabrics, 8cm (gusset＋1cm) by 22cm (length＋2cm) are 2 pieces. (Seam allowances are included)
Fabric tabs for zipper, 5.2cm by 5.2cm are 2 pieces. (Seam allowances are included)
Add the tabs to zipper
1. Fold and press the fabric tabs (1cm).
When making creases, it is recommended to use an sewing ruler for iron. The folds are neat and the finish is nicely.
2. Fold the fabric in half with right side. Then sew the top and bottom.
3. Cut off extra seams, and turn inside out.
4. Cover the zipper ends with tabs, and stitch.
Make gusset fabrics
1. Fold the gusset fabric in half with right side together. Then sew the side seams.
2. Turn inside out. Then sew the edge with zig zag stitch.
3. Other gusset fabric, do the same way.
Add the zipper to tote bag
1. Place the gusset fabric on the zipper, and stitches.
2. Stitch the 1cm line from the edge.
3. Other side of zipper, do the same way.
4. Sew the bag mouth and gusset fabric together. It’s done.
Making movie is the following.