Today’s handcraft work is a “DIY panda-patterned fabric zipper pouch". It is a type of zipper pouch called a “flat pouch" or “petanko pouch". It is one of the easiest pouches to make. It is the pouch without gusset, so it doesn’t get bulky in your bag.
It might be a little bit difficult to put on a zipper, but you can finish it if you make it carefully by following the instructions step by step.
The finished size is about 10cm x 14cm. You can put makeup tools or hygiene products inside and organize small items. It is just the right size for everyday use.
Outer fabrics are 2 pieces of 12cm x 17cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included. Attach fusible interlining on the back.)
Fusible interfacing gives fabric firmness, and keeps the shape of the pouch.
Inner fabrics are 2 pieces of 12cm x 17cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included)
14cm zipper is 1 piece.
Fold both ends of the zip tape, and stitch together.
Fold the end of zipper so that it doesn’t cover the seam allowances of pouch. It the edge overlap seam allowances, the thickness will increase and be difficult to sew. It will affect the appearance when finished.
Install the zipper
1. Sew the outer fabric and zipper with right sides facing each other. Pin the zipper with marking pins no to slip the zipper when you sew.
2. Sew the outer and inner with right sides facing each other and sew together.
Sew the zipper that affects the appearance of pouch. If you don’t know how to sew or aren’t good at sewing a zipper, please read this article which explains the procedure concretely.
3. Fold the outer fabric, and iron. Then stitch the edge.
4. Sew the other side of zipper and do the same way.
Make the pouch
1. Place the outer and inner fabric with right sides facing each other and sew around the edge. (Leaving 5cm gap for turning. Keep the zipper half open.)
The part with the zipper became thick, so be careful when you sew.
2. Cut off extra corner cloths, and press seam allowances open.
3. Turn inside out from the gap, and sew the edge. The panda-patterned fabric zipper pouch is done.
Following is the video for how-to.