Today’s DIY (tutorial of handmade toy) is a fabric ball. Inside the fabric ball is rattle insert (plastic bell). This fabric ball is a good toy for babies, children, dogs, and cats. I made a fabric ball out of gauze fabric. Stuff wadding (poly-fil) into the fabric ball. As it is a light and soft ball made of gauze fabric, please try making it.
Finishing dimension is about 9cm diameter. I used a sewing machine to sew, but can be made hand-stitching.
The fabric is made up of 5 pieces. (Seam allowances are included)
Paper pattern of handmade fabric ball is here.
The wadding (polyester fiber fill) in the fabric ball is about 25g. The fiberfill (polyester fiber fill) in the fabric ball and cushion are sold by the name, “Poly Fill or Fiberfill” at craft shops. You can find it in the section of stuffed animal and cushion making at craft shops.
The rattle insert (plastic bell) is 1 piece. (It is like a baby rattle. You also can get it at craft shops.)
How to make a fabric ball (tutorial of fabric ball)
1. Sew the 2 fabrics with right side together. (When sewing right sides together, the front side of each fabric is placed facing each other.)
2. Make a notch in seam allowances, and press seam allowances open.
3. Remaining fabrics, in the same way.
4. Sew the fabrics. (Leaving about 5cm open for turning.)
5. Turn inside out from opening.
6. Stuff wadding and rattle into the fabric ball.
7. Sew the edge shut. Your fabric ball (handmade toy for babies, children, dogs, and cats) is complete.
Following is the video for how-to.