Today’s handmade product is a “DIY flower-patterned fabric tote bag (with lining and flat bottom)". Beige color twill is used for the lining side. It is simple to make, so even beginners can easily make this tote bag.
It is a tote bag without a zipper, so it is easy to make. It has a gusset, so the usability is good. I think it is just right for everyday use.
The finished size is about 18cm x 25cm, with a gusset length of about 6cm. I think it is just right for a “lunch box tote bag".
Outer fabrics are 2 pieces of 22cm x 32cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included. Attach fusible interfacing on the back.)
Fusible interfacing gives fabric firmness and keeps the shape of the tote bag.
Lining fabrics are 2 pieces of 21.5cm x 31.5cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included)
Bottom patch fabric is 1 piece of 11cm x 32cm sized fabric. (Seam allowances are included)
Handles are 2 pieces of 2.5cm x 29cm. Handles can be made by using any fabrics of your choice. Acrylic webbing tape is recommended from craft shop. (It is easy to make.)
How to sew the bag body (outer bag)
1. Place the outer fabrics with right side, and sew the bottom. Then press seam allowances open. (When sewing right side, the front side of each fabric is placed facing each other.)
2. Fold the edges of bottom patch (1cm), and sew the outer fabric together.
When making creases, it is recommended to use a hot hemmer. The folds are neat, and the finishing is nice.
3. Fold the outer fabric in half with right side together, and sew the side seams.
4. Cut off extra corner cloths, and press seam allowances open. Then make gusset, and sew. (Gusset adds depth to the bag.)
5. Baste the outer fabric and handles together.
6. Cut the extra seam allowances (2.5cm from bag opening).
How to make the bag body (lining bag)
1. Place the lining fabrics with right side, and sew the side and bottom.
2. Cut off extra corner cloths, and press seam allowances open. Then make gusset, and sew.
3. Cut the extra seam allowances (2.5cm from bag opening).
How to make the tote bag (finishing the bag)
1. Insert the inner bag into the outer bag with right side together. Then sew around perimeter of bag opening. (Leave 7cm gap for turning.)
2. Unseam the bastings of handle.
3. Press seam allowances open, and turn inside out from the gap.
4. Iron and stitch the edge of bag opening. The fabrics overlap and become thick in the bag opening, so be careful to sew the bag opening.
5. Iron to finish. The flower-patterned fabric tote bag is done.
Following is the video for how-to.