How to make a fabric ball (a version made of regular pentagon fabrics)
Today’s handmade item is a “fabric ball (a version made of regular pentagon fabrics)”. Inside the ball are polyester fiber fill (poly-fil) and rattle insert (plastic bell). As it is a soft ball made of fabric, it doesn’t hurt even if it hits. This fabric ball is a good toy for babies, children, dogs, and cats because it has a bell inside and makes sounds.
This fabric ball is made by stitching together “fabric scraps”. When it comes to scraps, you can make various patterns of balls depending on the color of the fabric and different combination of patterns.
When making bags and pouches by handcraft, fabric scraps increase before you realize. Don’t you have a lot of scraps lying around because “they are small, but a waste to throw away?”
This fabric ball also makes effective use of such a piece of fabrics. Please combine various fabric scraps and make “your own fabric ball”.
Regular pentagon fabrics are 12 pieces. (Seam allowances are included)
The wadding (polyester fiber fill) in the ball is about 43g. (when made with a regular pentagon that’s 4.5cm on each side.)
The fiberfill (polyester fiber fill) in the fabric ball and cushion are sold by the name, “Poly Fill or Fiberfill” at craft shops. You can find it in the section of stuffed animal and cushion making at craft shops.
The plastic bell (rattle insert) is 1 piece. (It is like a baby rattle. You also can get it at craft shops.)
Fabric ball pattern is here.
How to make a fabric ball
1. Sew the 2 fabrics with right side together. Then press seam allowances open. (Right side means the front sides of the fabric are lined up with each other.)
2. Add the 4 fabric pieces, sew again with right side together. Then press seam allowances open and set aside.
3. For the remaining 6 fabric pieces, sew in the same manner.
4. Now you should have 2 pieces of six panels sewn together. To attach the 2 sets together, place the 2 fabric sets with right side, and sew. (Leaving open for turning.)
5. Turn inside out from the opening.
6. Stuff wadding and rattle into the fabric ball.
7. Sew the edge shut. Your fabric ball is complete.
Following is the video for how-to.